Binary Solo

Digital Approaches to Fine Art Are…
Monday May 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

Art whose final product uses photo editing software (photoshop, etc.), web design, digital film, video games, and/or digital photography as its primary medium is an obvious digital approach to fine art. However, anything using photoshop, digital photography, scanning, source material from the internet, etc. contains a digital component. Even traditional art mediums such as painting, drawing and sculpture therefore often employ digital approaches in the process of their construction, even if digital approaches are not evident in their final execution. I used to think that digital art was an easy way to make things look cool for people who were too lazy to paint (I have since changed my mind about this), but I hadn’t considered the fact that in the process of doing sketches for paintings I often used digital photos or source material from the internet to get ideas. The fact that that is even possible has fundamentally changed the way in which artists working in traditional mediums think about and do their work, because it simply was not an option for Van Gogh or Michelangelo.

Comments Off on Digital Approaches to Fine Art Are…